Podiatrists have many different treatment options, including the use of orthotic devices, which are beneficial in a number of situations. Here are some conditions orthotics treat:
- Arch abnormalities. Both high and low arches can cause gait issues that can be addressed with custom orthotics.
- Orthotics are one of the conservative options we might use to reduce the need for surgery.
- Toe separators can be used to prevent corns from developing, which is important for diabetic individuals.
- Hallux rigidus (stiff big toe). We may prescribe orthotics to address the problem when hallux rigidus causes an imbalanced force load.
- Neuropathic ulcerations. An essential part of diabetic foot care is preventing ulcers, and we may use orthotics to achieve this objective.
- Toe deformities. In addition to bunions, orthotic devices can also be used as conservative treatment for claw, mallet, and hammertoe conditions.
There are other conditions that can be treated with orthotics. Come in and see us here at our Berkeley, CA podiatrist office and we will determine if these devices should be part of your treatment plan. Either give us a call at (510) 647-3744 to request an appointment, or use our online form to connect with us today.