Sweaty feet aren’t just uncomfortable; they can also lead to foot odor and provide an environment where bacteria and fungus can thrive. To tackle the problem, you can start with home remedies. Here are a few tips to help keep your feet drier and head off trouble:
- Bathe the feet every day to remove odor-causing bacteria as well as dirt.
- After your shower, apply antiperspirant to your feet, too.
- A good foot powder (anti-fungal or not) can help absorb moisture.
- Wear socks and shoes of natural materials that let air in and moisture out.
- Change socks often, and let shoes dry a full day (24 hours) before wearing again.
- Slip your shoes off several times during the day to expose feet to the air.
- If you sweat during anxious moments, try relaxation techniques or yoga to calm yourself.
Some cases of hyperhidrosis (sweaty feet) result from conditions that have nothing to do with air temperature, activity, or stress. If you sweat excessively, call for an appointment to discuss possible causes and other treatment options for addressing this uncomfortable condition. You can reach Yuko Miyazaki, DPM in Berkeley, CA by dialing (510) 647-3744 or filling out our contact form.