In addition to exercising more, eating healthier is one of the most common health-related New Year’s resolutions people make. Combined, these two commitments can make a world of difference in your physical health – no matter the time of year!
Now, if you are going to eat well, you are probably best served making most of your own meals at home. In doing so, you can know and control exactly what is in the food you eat. Further, this allows you to eat “clean,” which is simply one of the best health trends from recent years.
Of course, the odds are pretty low you’ll be eating all of your meals at home! When you do want to eat out, you should know which restaurants are better than others for healthy dining. With this in mind, we’ve compiled a list of some of the best restaurants in our area for those of you who are making the commitment to eating better in 2018 (and beyond!). There are certainly other options you may wish to consider, but our list includes:
- Cha-Ya. This restaurant shatters the common misconception that healthy eating has to be bland. You can find rich, flavorful noodles, dumplings, soups, sushi, and vegetarian dishes at Cha-Ya. Everyone in the whole family—or your group of friends—will find something to enjoy here, even the most discriminating foodie in the group! Even better, dishes like the Moon Garden, sukiyaki, and tempura-fried Cha-Ya rolls are loaded with vegetables and other foods that will provide your body with essential nutrients for optimal physical health.
- Razan’s Organic Kitchen. If you are looking for natural, vegetarian cuisine in Berkeley, Razan’s is an affordable, casual option that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner entrees. Street parking is usually readily available, but there is also a bike rake for those who are looking to burn some extra calories before and after their meal. The fresh and healthy meal choices are great for customers of all ages (not just adults!).
- Simply Bowl. As with Razan’s, Simply Bowl is another option if you have children and want a dining experience that is considerably healthier than one you could pick up at a drive-thru! The child-friendly restaurant also provides complimentary Wi-Fi for their guests and has plenty of nearby parking options (along with multiple bike racks outside). If you’d prefer, you can also grab your food and go with takeout from this 24-hour restaurant.
- Portala Organic Café. If you are looking for a local vegetarian restaurant featuring delicious meals, a casual environment, and moderate prices, Portala Organic Café might just be what you’re seeking. No matter if you drive or bike there, you will find parking options either in the neighboring lot or via the restaurant’s safe bike rack. Prefer to grab your food and go? Portala’s offers takeout options.
- Jerusalem Organic Kitchen. For those who have special dietary needs, Jerusalem Organic Kitchen in Berkeley is a great, inexpensive option. Featuring tasty gluten-free and low-fat options, this restaurant is ideal for any meal of the day.
- Sanctuary Bistro. This vegan restaurant in Berkeley serves a wide range of locally-sourced, sustainable produce and does not use meat in any of its breakfast, lunch, or dinner dishes. Sanctuary Bistro offers a warm, inviting atmosphere and gourmet dishes like tofu scaloppini, cattle bean stew, and spicy lasagna. In addition to culinary options, the bistro has a full complement of wine and beer.
Eating well is essential for having the healthiest possible body (including your feet!) you can have. Doing so ensures your body tissues have the nutrients they need, while allowing you to manage your weight in a healthy manner.
We hope you and your loved ones stay safe and healthy in the new year. If you need any foot care services, don’t hesitate to contact our office by calling (510) 647-3744 and we will be glad to help!